Image API preserves history through digitization of transportation maps and drawings
Maps and drawings, dating from the early 1900’s, were being stored in a warehouse for the South Carolina Department of Transportation. Not only were these historical documents at risk for loss because of age and environmental factors, but they were disorganized and cumbersome to use. Moving the documents was cost-prohibitive, so SCDOT looked to Image API for an imaging solution.
Delicate historical maps and drawings of various shapes and sizes were handled with special care, every detail digitally preserved in its original form.
Delicate historical maps and drawings of various shapes and sizes were handled with special care. With a secure chain-of-custody process, they were digitized and organized by Image API’s professional imaging services team. Each document’s detail was digitally preserved in its original form. Output was customized so that the images could be directly loaded into the existing content management system. SCDOT staff and customers are now able to access the documents in a few mouse clicks.
The 30,000 square feet of warehouse storage space is no longer needed, and access to documents is fast and simple.
The value delivered for SCDOT? Historical transportation maps and drawings have been preserved forever, and the risk of loss and deterioration has been eliminated. The 30,000 square feet of warehouse storage space is no longer needed, and access to documents is fast and simple. Eliminating paper has increased productivity and efficiency and enabled self-service for public records research.
- Historical documents were difficult to locate and organize
- Document storage costs continued to increase
- Irreplaceable documents were susceptible to loss and deterioration
- Go paperless
- Customize digital file output to load into existing line of business application for seamless access
- Preserved 80 years of historical documents ranging in size and age with special care
- Eliminated need for 30,000 square foot warehouse, reducing costs
- Improved access to and organization of documents